As the son of British jazz pioneer Trevor Watts, a career in music really was the only choice for Sam Watts, AKA Maxxi Soundsystem. Over the last few years the Brighton based artist has risen up the ranks to become one of the most sought after performers on the international circuit, clocking up an impressive list of club and festival appearances. In tandem with his DJ career, his club-focused productions have been signed to a number of influential and highly regarded labels including Defected, Hypercolour, Moda Black, Maceo Plex’s Ellum and the mighty Nervous.
On his first single on OM Records, Maxxi joins forces with the enigmatic and mysterious producer Thrilogy; a new Bristol based artist that places an emphasis on darker more mystical elements. Together the two have created a rich, deep house track that speaks to the heart as well as the root. Joining them on the journey via their own remixes taking it even deeper are No Regular Play and Bells and Whistles.
Groove Armada’s Andy Cato and Tom Findlay have hand-crafted the kind of long-standing electronic-music career that most dream of—and many might (metaphorically) kill for. Since the London-based dance duo first surfaced on the scene with 1998’s well-received debut album Northern Star on Tummy Touch, they’ve churned out quality house music year-after-year spanning across seven albums. Their latest six-tracker Love Lights The Underground on OM Records, is yet another slice of classic house heaven from the lads featuring standout selections like “Soho Disco” and “Set Me Free.” Beatport decided that now was the perfect time to settle into their current behind-the-box selection. Here’s what they came back with. - words by Jason Black
YES! That’s right! Omies, we’ve got a very special radio premiere scheduled for ya. Tune into Jason Bentley’s Metropolis onKCRW this Sat night from 10PM-Midnight PST to hear a special premiere of the new Groove Armada ‘Love Lights the Underground’ EP.
For those that missed the premiere, check it out below:
Awwwyeaah Omies! We’ve started an official Mushroom Jazz playlist on Spotify. Check it out, let us know what you think. Follow it, we’ll be adding to it.
Great news Blackbird Blackbird fans, Om is gearing up for a brand new single for the standout track ‘Love Unlimited’ on July 8th. Here’s the world premiere video for the track directed by Larkin Donley and Govind Rae! Check out the feature on SPIN and pre-order the single HERE and get the exclusive b-side ‘Waikiki’
The wait is finally over! Pick up the fantastic new album ‘Tangerine Sky’ from Blackbird Blackbird now on iTunes and get the exclusive bonus track ‘Visionary’
See below for reviews, and scroll down to preview tracks on YouTube.
Big news! Here’s your chance to check out the new Blackbird Blackbird album a week before it’s in stores. Find out why My Old Kentucky Blog describes it as, “textured, vivid soundstrokes blended with ghostly vocals.”
Big day for Blackbird Blackbird! KCRW are giving away ‘Hold On’ as their Today’s Top Tune. It’s available as a free download for 24 hours here. Impose Magazine are premiering the Phages remix of ‘There Is Nowhere’ here. Here’s a blurb from each, check out the tunes below and pre-order ‘Tangerine Sky’ coming on June 3rd.
Impose: Back in February, Bay Area songwriter/producer Blackbird Blackbird (real name Mikey Maramag) released the spaced-out R&B jam “There is Nowhere,” the first single from his upcoming album Tangerine Sky, out June 3 on Om Records. Though Maramag reportedly played drums in a hardcore band for six years, the track incorporated wispy falsetto and sensitive lyrics (“I’ve given up everything/ there is nowhere I’d rather be”) that would sound at home in the company of fellow indie crooners Active Child and How to Dress Well. (READ THE FULL REVIEW HERE).
KCRW: Blackbird Blackbird is the moniker of San Francisco-based wünderkind Mikey Maramag. He conjures a dreamy electro-pop ambience in his music, but things heat up on Today’s Top Tune, a B-side called “Hold On.” (CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOADTHE SONG)
To celebrate Om’s 100,000 likes on Facebook, I thought it would be fun to go back through the catalog and pick out some of my favorites. New school and old school fans will enjoy this ride through the history. Hope you enjoyed the session! Thank you for liking what we’re doing, your support means the world to us.
1) Body Language ‘Well Absolutely’ (Shiny Objects Remix) – first time ever available for download. This one was released exclusively for streaming only on Spotify. You may have heard it on Sirius XM Chill b/c it’s been in their rotation.
2) Blackbird Blackbird ‘Hold On’ – the b-side on the ‘There Is Nowhere’ single. We love the ambient vibe on this one. It’s also a favorite on Sirius XM Chill and on KCRW.
3) Sleight of Hands ‘Sometimes’ – SF duo Phil Collis (Bachelors of Science) and DJ M3 combine forces to create some heavy underground house music. Be sure to seek out the Psychemagik mix of this one, it’s getting lots of airplay on KCRW ‘Metropolis’.
4) Click Click & Upstroke ‘Barricade’ – Berlin’s Click Click teams up with Russian Upstroke to create this down and dirty b side to the stunning ‘Everything’ single on Om’s sister imprint Smoke N’ Mirrors. We love how this one builds and rolls with the bass.
5) Mark Farina ‘Life’ – ah the Mushroom Jazz man himself delivers an original tune taken from his stellar 6th volume of the series. Head nod heavy, slightly weird, and just damn great.
6) The Jazzual Suspects ‘Ba Dada’ – another mysterious moniker of the most recorded artist in Om Records history, Mr. Charlie 6’8" Tate! If you dig this one, be sure to check out his other offerings from King Kooba, Colossus, Boswick Gates, Alta Plana and Grand Synthe.
7) People Under the Stairs ‘80 Blocks from Silverlake’ – LA’s finest deliver another tribute to the city of angels taken from the ‘Carried Away’ LP. Listen for the name check at the 2:00 mark. :)
8) Afro-Mystik ‘Shoplift the Future’ – Om hip-hop from 1999 feat. the homie Azeem. You may have missed this one if you’re on the new school side. I highly recommend going back for more of the Future Tropic bizness from Om founder Christopher J. Smith and his funky afro Brazilian moniker.
9) Ming & FS ‘Madhattan Bound’ – an Om classic! When this came out in 1998, it was way ahead of its time. A favorite of b-boys and bassheads the world over. Be sure to check out the video.
10) Bassnectar ‘Bomb the Blocks’ – ah, one of my favorites and a perfect closer to the session. Available on vinyl if you can find it. Make sure you check out the video, you will like!
Haunting guitar and sparse drum kicks build to a harmonious vocal crescendo of Blackbird Blackbird’s Mikey Maramag and DWNTWN’s Jamie Leffler. Pure goose bump inducing magic takes the melancholic beauty of the original to even higher heights. Props go out to DWNTWN producer Robert Cepeda for delivering exactly what a good remix is supposed to do!
Curious about those sultry lyrics in Body Language’s ’I’m a Mess’? What are they saying? Yeah, we thought you might be curious. Here’s our rendition of a lyric video complete with beautiful colors and lovely people. We hope you enjoy. Pick it up in iTunes here!
New Blackbird Blackbird album ‘Tangerine Sky’ coming June 3rd.
The new album Tangerine Sky promises more surprises, creatively meshing a wide array of contemporary styles into something unique that can only exist in the now. This is futuristic synth-pop that doesn’t look back for inspiration, instead tying together elements of forward thinking hip-hop/R&B, space-age folk, and the meditative grooves of house and techno. Pre-order here!
Show Sleight of Hands some love and pick up their first DJ Chart on Beatport featuring a collection of their work with Groove Armada/ Psychemagik / Body Language & More. Click here to check out the sounds!