To celebrate Om’s 100,000 likes on Facebook, I thought it would be fun to go back through the catalog and pick out some of my favorites. New school and old school fans will enjoy this ride through the history.
1) Body Language ‘Well Absolutely’ (Shiny Objects Remix) – first time ever available for download. This one was released exclusively for streaming only on Spotify. You may have heard it on Sirius XM Chill b/c it’s been in their rotation.
2) Blackbird Blackbird ‘Hold On’ – the b-side on the ‘There Is Nowhere’ single. We love the ambient vibe on this one. It’s also a favorite on Sirius XM Chill and on KCRW.
3) Sleight of Hands ‘Sometimes’ – SF duo Phil Collis (Bachelors of Science) and DJ M3 combine forces to create some heavy underground house music. Be sure to seek out the Psychemagik mix of this one, it’s getting lots of airplay on KCRW ‘Metropolis’.
4) Click Click & Upstroke ‘Barricade’ – Berlin’s Click Click teams up with Russian Upstroke to create this down and dirty b side to the stunning ‘Everything’ single on Om’s sister imprint Smoke N’ Mirrors. We love how this one builds and rolls with the bass.
5) Mark Farina ‘Life’ – ah the Mushroom Jazz man himself delivers an original tune taken from his stellar 6th volume of the series. Head nod heavy, slightly weird, and just damn great.
6) The Jazzual Suspects ‘Ba Dada’ – another mysterious moniker of the most recorded artist in Om Records history, Mr. Charlie 6’8" Tate! If you dig this one, be sure to check out his other offerings from King Kooba, Colossus, Boswick Gates, Alta Plana and Grand Synthe.
7) People Under the Stairs ‘80 Blocks from Silverlake’ – LA’s finest deliver another tribute to the city of angels taken from the ‘Carried Away’ LP. Listen for the name check at the 2:00 mark. :)
8) Afro-Mystik ‘Shoplift the Future’ – Om hip-hop from 1999 feat. the homie Azeem. You may have missed this one if you’re on the new school side. I highly recommend going back for more of the Future Tropic bizness from Om founder Christopher J. Smith and his funky afro Brazilian moniker.
9) Ming & FS ‘Madhattan Bound’ – an Om classic! When this came out in 1998, it was way ahead of its time. A favorite of b-boys and bassheads the world over. Be sure to check out the video.
10) Bassnectar ‘Bomb the Blocks’ – ah, one of my favorites and a perfect closer to the session. Available on vinyl if you can find it. Make sure you check out the video, you will like!
Hope you enjoyed the session! Thank you for liking what we’re doing, your support means the world to us.
Much love Omies,
Gunnar Hissam / Om Records
Posted by: Gunnar Hissam on April 18, 2014 @ 7:31 AM
Posted in: Free Downloads
Haunting guitar and sparse drum kicks build to a harmonious vocal crescendo of Blackbird Blackbird’s Mikey Maramag and DWNTWN’s Jamie Leffler. Pure goose bump inducing magic takes the melancholic beauty of the original to even higher heights. Props go out to DWNTWN producer Robert Cepeda for delivering exactly what a good remix is supposed to do!
Posted by: Gunnar Hissam on April 7, 2014 @ 10:00 AM
Posted in: Free Downloads
Curious about those sultry lyrics in Body Language’s ’I’m a Mess’? What are they saying? Yeah, we thought you might be curious. Here’s our rendition of a lyric video complete with beautiful colors and lovely people. We hope you enjoy.
Smoke N’ Mirrors is hot and keyed up to share with you our latest release—a bass- laced international collab between Berlin whiz-kid Click | Click and Russian beat-ace Upstroke. “Everything” is a to-the-point 4×4 creation meant to properly ignite a dance floor. Groovy, steady percussion and catchy female lyrics break even the most hesitant of dancers. Throw in a hard-hitting bassline, and you’ve got yourself a party positively shaken to the core.