Electronic music pioneers Groove Armada return to the dance-floor with their new six-track EP ‘Love Lights the Underground’ (coming September 9th on Om Records). Fans of their classic DJ sets around the globe will be pleased to hear the rumbling bass lines and heady underground vocals soaring across foot stompers destined to keep dance floors moving. Keep an eye on om-records.com for premieres starting in August.
Posted by: Gunnar Hissam on July 17, 2014 @ 9:03 AM
Posted in: Music
Great news Blackbird Blackbird fans, Om is gearing up for a brand new single for the standout track ‘Love Unlimited’ on July 8th. Here’s the world premiere video for the track directed by Larkin Donley and Govind Rae! Check out the feature on SPIN and pre-order the single HERE and get the exclusive b-side ‘Waikiki’
‘The clip, directed by Larkin Donley and Govind Rae, details the beginning of a slow motion romance, and when our two stars eventually touch it unleashes some pulsing polychromatic imagery that functions as pretty salient visual analog to Maramag’s work.’ – SPIN
The wait is finally over! Pick up the fantastic new album ‘Tangerine Sky’ from Blackbird Blackbird now on iTunes and get the exclusive bonus track ‘Visionary’
See below for reviews, and scroll down to preview tracks on YouTube.
“As the title track of Blackbird Blackbird’s second LP Tangerine Sky opens, a warm polyphony of synths bounce radiantly to the beat of a driving kick drum presenting what seems to be a sort of instrumental prelude to the rest of the album. Suddenly, two and half minutes in, the dreamy vocals of Mikey Maramag appear all distant and blissed-out like a 3 O’clock wine buzz. For a guy who cut his teeth as the drummer for a hardcore band (Murder Practice), Maramag’s solo work as Blackbird Blackbird is about as sunny as it gets, having more in common with the chillwave warmth of Washed Out or the more tranquil sides of Ulrich Schnauss. While an album like this is enjoyable enough for its peaceful, mood-setting aesthetic, Tangerine Sky is also fortunate enough to contain some legitimate songwriting. Distressed lo-fi textures, Casio tones, and clever sequencing along with live guitars, bass, and drums make up the core of the album’s sound bed which wraps around some neatly melodic dream pop tunes like “Love Unlimited,” “Darlin Dear,” and “Rare Candy.” Some of the tweaked samples recall a gentler, hazed-out Passion Pit and like many artists working in that sonic bailiwick, the throbbing compression on a few of the tracks can become a bit trying. Still, it’s a stylistic choice that hardly deters from the songs, which coast along easily on a wave of homemade electro charm and Maramag’s sweet, late afternoon harmonies. Though beguiling in any climate, Tangerine Sky could easily become a soundtrack to the summer months." – Allmusic.com
“Often cited for occupying the same woozy musical neighborhood as Washed Out, Caribou and The Postal Service, San Francisco-based artist Mikey Maramag has defined a sound that’s all his own under his Blackbird Blackbird alias. On Tangerine Sky he finesses his ability to write melodically infectious songs fueled by electronic instrumentation. Upbeat songs come to him as easily as Kenyans win marathons, so that’s why the heartfelt digital soul of “There Is Nowhere” reminds us of range and that sad songs say so much. Essential track: “Treehouse” – Big Shot Magazine
“San Francisco-based Mikey Maramag, aka Blackbird Blackbird, has been a staple in the psychedelic poptronica genre for a while now. His textured, vivid soundstrokes blended with ghostly vocals takes listeners to other worlds. On June 3rd via Om Records, he will be releasing his Tangerine Sky LP.” – My Old Kentucky Blog
Posted by: Gunnar Hissam on June 3, 2014 @ 8:35 AM
Posted in: Music
Big news! Here’s your chance to check out the new Blackbird Blackbird album a week before it’s in stores. Find out why My Old Kentucky Blog describes it as, “textured, vivid soundstrokes blended with ghostly vocals.”
Posted by: Gunnar Hissam on May 27, 2014 @ 10:11 AM
Posted in: Lavish Habits
The anticipation for the new Blackbird Blackbird ‘Tangerine Sky’ LP is building! Here’s the world premiere of the title track. Pick up the new single here., and check out what The Onion AV Club has to say about it here.
“Tangerine Sky” is like an upbeat electronic fog, aurally all-encompassing in the very best way." – The Onion AV Club
Posted by: Gunnar Hissam on May 2, 2014 @ 10:39 AM
Posted in: Lavish Habits
Big day for Blackbird Blackbird! KCRW are giving away ‘Hold On’ as their Today’s Top Tune. It’s available as a free download for 24 hours here. Impose Magazine are premiering the Phages remix of ‘There Is Nowhere’ here.
Here’s a blurb from each, check out the tunes below and pre-order ‘Tangerine Sky’ coming on June 3rd.
Impose: Back in February, Bay Area songwriter/producer Blackbird Blackbird (real name Mikey Maramag) released the spaced-out R&B jam “There is Nowhere,” the first single from his upcoming album Tangerine Sky, out June 3 on Om Records. Though Maramag reportedly played drums in a hardcore band for six years, the track incorporated wispy falsetto and sensitive lyrics (“I’ve given up everything/ there is nowhere I’d rather be”) that would sound at home in the company of fellow indie crooners Active Child and How to Dress Well. (READTHEFULLREVIEWHERE).
KCRW: Blackbird Blackbird is the moniker of San Francisco-based wünderkind Mikey Maramag. He conjures a dreamy electro-pop ambience in his music, but things heat up on Today’s Top Tune, a B-side called “Hold On.” (CLICKHERE TO DOWNLOADTHESONG)
Posted by: Gunnar Hissam on April 22, 2014 @ 10:07 AM
Posted in: Free Downloads
To celebrate Om’s 100,000 likes on Facebook, I thought it would be fun to go back through the catalog and pick out some of my favorites. New school and old school fans will enjoy this ride through the history.
1) Body Language ‘Well Absolutely’ (Shiny Objects Remix) – first time ever available for download. This one was released exclusively for streaming only on Spotify. You may have heard it on Sirius XM Chill b/c it’s been in their rotation.
2) Blackbird Blackbird ‘Hold On’ – the b-side on the ‘There Is Nowhere’ single. We love the ambient vibe on this one. It’s also a favorite on Sirius XM Chill and on KCRW.
3) Sleight of Hands ‘Sometimes’ – SF duo Phil Collis (Bachelors of Science) and DJ M3 combine forces to create some heavy underground house music. Be sure to seek out the Psychemagik mix of this one, it’s getting lots of airplay on KCRW ‘Metropolis’.
4) Click Click & Upstroke ‘Barricade’ – Berlin’s Click Click teams up with Russian Upstroke to create this down and dirty b side to the stunning ‘Everything’ single on Om’s sister imprint Smoke N’ Mirrors. We love how this one builds and rolls with the bass.
5) Mark Farina ‘Life’ – ah the Mushroom Jazz man himself delivers an original tune taken from his stellar 6th volume of the series. Head nod heavy, slightly weird, and just damn great.
6) The Jazzual Suspects ‘Ba Dada’ – another mysterious moniker of the most recorded artist in Om Records history, Mr. Charlie 6’8" Tate! If you dig this one, be sure to check out his other offerings from King Kooba, Colossus, Boswick Gates, Alta Plana and Grand Synthe.
7) People Under the Stairs ‘80 Blocks from Silverlake’ – LA’s finest deliver another tribute to the city of angels taken from the ‘Carried Away’ LP. Listen for the name check at the 2:00 mark. :)
8) Afro-Mystik ‘Shoplift the Future’ – Om hip-hop from 1999 feat. the homie Azeem. You may have missed this one if you’re on the new school side. I highly recommend going back for more of the Future Tropic bizness from Om founder Christopher J. Smith and his funky afro Brazilian moniker.
9) Ming & FS ‘Madhattan Bound’ – an Om classic! When this came out in 1998, it was way ahead of its time. A favorite of b-boys and bassheads the world over. Be sure to check out the video.
10) Bassnectar ‘Bomb the Blocks’ – ah, one of my favorites and a perfect closer to the session. Available on vinyl if you can find it. Make sure you check out the video, you will like!
Hope you enjoyed the session! Thank you for liking what we’re doing, your support means the world to us.
Much love Omies,
Gunnar Hissam / Om Records
Posted by: Gunnar Hissam on April 18, 2014 @ 7:31 AM
Posted in: Free Downloads