Om Records is proud to announce an exclusive partnership with the Canadian based AudioAcademy.fm, an electronic music resource center geared towards production and music industry related business. We’ve decided to run a little contest, the Battle of the DJs in which we will fly out the winner to WMC and invite them to play our annual Miami event on Thursday, March 25th 2010. The contest runs from January 11th to March 14th, click here to find out rules and regulations as well as how to enter. “We’re really looking forward to working with Audio Academy for this years Battle of the DJ contest,” says Jonathan McDonald of Om Records. “We believe that it’s very important to help emerging talent gain exposure through such outlets setting the stage for a debut at the largest electronic music conferences in the world.”
For more info on the AudioAcademy and it’s new turntable software audioDJx, please click here. Stay tuned for more announcements regarding the Om: Miami 2010 event.
Posted by: Jonthecorner on February 4, 2010 @ 12:31 PM
Posted in: Contests
Looks like San Francisco/Brooklyn band Lemonade may finally get the love they deserve. I’ve been a fan of these guys for some time now and happy to see that this may be their year. Their new EP “Pure Moods” is out this March and features remixes from SF’s Ghost on Tapes, Hackman, and Le Chev on True Panther Sounds (Distributed by Matador Records).
This is Lemonade’s follow-up to their praised and explosive debut album. This EP is an utterly unique take on electronic dance music, this time focused and melodic. It incorporates more explicit soca, dub, and calypso influences into Lemonade’s existing ravey palate. Even if those sounds are channelled through 16-bit samples and city stories the record has a certain wetness to it- a rich vegetation of sounds. Tight electronic arrangements layered with Alex Pasternak’s fiercely clattered drums, Ben Steidel’s invitingly rubbery bass and Callan Clendenin’s wobbly vocal harmonies float in and out of scope. The whistles of Bedstuy’s West Indian Day Parade ring out in “Banana Republic”, Ballearic synths carress “Remain In Jah”. The EP’s leading track “Lifted” somehow submerges its anthemic chorus and raindrop synths under a deafening waterfall. It feels good. If their debut was citric slime, this EP is an orange; firm and almost uniform in its peel, sweet and wet inside.
Listen & Download: Lemonade “Lifted”
Posted by: g.win on February 4, 2010 @ 1:24 AM
Posted in: Free Downloads
Every February and August, the retail fashion world converges in Las Vegas for trade show season.
We’re excited to be bringing the Om apparel line to Las Vegas this Feb 16, 17, 18 for SLATE @ The Magic Tradeshow. We will show our line along the likes of Triple Five Soul, Obey, 10Deep, The Hundreds, L-R-G, and more.
S.L.A.T.E. is a juried assortment of eclectic and sophisticated brands that originated in the skate, surf and street communities and are steadily making their way into the mainstream with all the fashion and attitude of the hipsters, artists and musicians who’ve inspired them. S.L.A.T.E brands go beyond a trend and are thoroughly immersed in a culture. They transcend price point and demographic and are now the ones to watch from retail’s global level.
Mandalay Bay Convention Center
3950 Las Vegas Blvd. South
Las Vegas, NV 89119
Drop by Booth SL8 22805 to see the new line. See you there!
Posted by: g.win on February 3, 2010 @ 7:51 PM
Posted in: Events
Deep house legend, Osunlade is known by many in the dance community for his deep, afro, latin house. Many, however, are unaware of the fact that Osunlade first got his start in genres outside the dance realm. He has written music for Sesame Street and worked with the likes of Patti Labelle and Roy Ayers. Looking at his past it’s really no surprise that he would return to his soul, jazz, r&b roots with “The Rebirth”. This album proves that he is a far more accomplished musician than many may think of when they think of DJ Osunlade. “The Rebirth” is one of the most well produced albums that has ever come across our table. Full of lush instruments and deep lyrical content, Osunlade wrote and played almost all the instruments himself.
Resident Advisor sat down with Osunlade back in October and this is what he had to say of the new record. “Before I started doing house music, I only did the type of music that’s coming out on this album. This is a personal thing. This is probably the most vulnerable, the closest to my heart that I’ve been creatively.”
The Dirtybird crew are celebrating their 5th Birthday this Friday in San Francisco! Happy bday guys!
‘dirtybird’ – A fake German porn star, two brothers, their room mate, the new girl, and a bunch of good for nothings that together managed to put a smile on the face of dance music. The very first dirtybird record was released in January 2005. Since then Claude VonStroke, Justin Martin, Christian Martin, J Phlip & Worthy have been all around the world DJ-ing and spreading the gospel of their dirty San Francisco bass. On Friday, February 5th they all come together to celebrates the label’s birthday. This one is going to be bigger and better than ever before so we hope to see you there.
Along with this special birthday event, we are announcing a 5 year dirtybird birthday cd package for release this April. This triple cd pack includes a greatest hits cd, a special db mix cd by Justin Martin, and a 3rd cd of all NEW dirtybird tracks! It includes appearances by all the db favorites like Claude VonStroke, J Phlip, Worthy, Sascha Braemer, Riva Starr, Donk Boys, Tim Green, Tanner Ross, Christian Martin, and a ton of new and upcoming talent.
9-4am free before 11 and $10 after with RSVP RSVP to www.going.com/dirtybird,
Mezzanine 444 Jesse Street
The label will also be putting out a 3 disc mixed compilation (By Justin Martin) featuring the label’s tracks, remixes, and more.
CD One: The Past
01. Christian Martin & Claude VonStroke – The Capacitron
02. Justin Martin & Sammy D – Southern Draw
03. Claude VonStroke – Deep Throat
04. The Martin Brothers – Stoopit
05. Solo – Conogloid
06. Justin Martin – Cicada (Claude VonStroke Remix)
07. Sascha Braemer – Some Sweat
08. Claude VonStroke – Who’s Afraid of Detroit?
09. Style of Eye – The Big Kazoo
10. Tim Green – Revox (Justin Martin Remix)
11. The Martin Brothers – Full Moon
12. Claude VonStroke – The Whistler
13. Christian Martin & Claude VonStroke – Groundhog Day
CD Two: The Present: Justin Martin’s 5 Year Dirtybird Mix
01. Intro (A Phone Call From the Boss)
02. Justin Martin & Sammy Dee – The Southern Draw / Justin Martin & Tanner Ross – Breff
03. Julio Bashmore – World Peace
04. The Martin Brothers – Duckface
05. Justin Martin & Claude VonStroke – Beat That Bird (Acapella)
06. Claude VonStroke – Vocal Chords (Voodeux’s Grumbly Mix)
07. Claude VonStroke – The Greasy Beat feat. Bootsy Collins (Robag Wruhme Mother Jones Mix vs J. Philip Mix)
08. Sascha Braemer – Some Sweat
09. Justin Martin & Sammy Dee – I Miss You… Please Call Me Back Someday
10. Mike Monday – Grace (Justin Martin Remix)
11. ICS – Espagnol / Edu K – Dos Gusanos
12. Tim Green – Revox (Justin Martin Remix)
13. Iz & Diz – Magnificent (Justin Martin’s No Heart & Soul Mix)
14. Justin Martin – Robot Romance
15. Claude VonStroke – Deep Throat (Just Martin Remix) / Claude VonStroke – The Whistler
16. Claude VonStroke – Twang Chung
17. Claude VonStroke – Chimps
18. Justin Martin – Cicada (Claude VonStroke’s 17yr. Mix)
19. Christian Martin & Claude VonStroke – Groundhog Day
20. Claude VonStroke – Who’s Afraid of Detroit? / The Martin Brothers – Stoopit
CD Three: The Future
01. Edu K – Dos Gusanos
02. The Martin Brothers – Duck Face
03. Claude VonStroke – Dood
04. Kink – Elevator
05. Justin Martin – Robot Romance
06. Hickup – Hickup Theme
07. Talal & Zoi – Silky King
08. Worthy & Yankee Zulu – Humble Mumble
09. Donk Boys – Hehu
10. Christian Martin – Polar Bear
11. Sascha Braemer – Club Foot
12. J Phlip – Droppin Bombz on Yer Momz
13. Jacob Seville – Groovin
Posted by: g.win on February 1, 2010 @ 10:11 PM
Posted in: Music
Hip hop festival Paid Dues just announced their official line up and Om artist People Under the Stairs are booked to play. The festival will take place in San Bernardino, CA on Saturday April 3rd and will also include Ice Cube, Murs & 9th Wonder, Tech N9ne, Raekwon, Tha Dogg Pound, Dilated Peoples. Psycho Realm, Necro, Del The Funky Homosapien, Freeway & Jake One, and all the original members of the Freestyle Fellowship.